Tuesday, October 03, 2017

The disappearing Nassim Haramein posts

You may have noticed that some of my posts from 2010 discussing the physics of Nassim Haramein have disappeared.
Using legal intimidation to shut down legitimate informal debate of your scientific claims is a childish and pathetic way to behave. It's so far removed from the behaviour of any scientist I could respect, it beggars belief.
I have taken them down because lawyers acting on the behalf of him and his institution have sent me a 37-page legal cease and desist letter. This is a full seven and a half years after I wrote the posts.

The letter has both my name and my address wrong. I don't know what his source was for my personal details, but evidently they were not especially competent.

I received the letter yesterday by email at the address that appears on this blog.

The tone of the letter is crass and threatening, and the content presented is extreme and distorted. Much of it is downright absurd. I have complied with the demands of the letter, which were to take down certain posts, not because this makes any sense but because I have no idea what refusing to do so would entail.

To me, the idea that a scientist could act in this way is bizarre. This is an obscure, anonymous blog with a few posts on mathematics and physics and nature; it had very little traffic before I wrote a piece attempting to explain Haramein's work, and he and his supporters brought attention to it.

In contrast to his behaviour towards me, I haven't called for him to be stopped, or for his site to be taken down. I haven't called for any of his fans to turn away from him. I'm not competing with him in any way. Unlike him, I'm not making a dime out of anything connected to his ideas or the rejection of them. Unlike him, I don't have a well-funded organisation behind me. I haven't lorded credentials or authority or legal threats over him or encouraged anyone else to do so. None of the scientific journals that have rejected his papers are doing it because of anything I said. None of the three times his page has been rejected from Wikipedia occurred because of anything I said. These decision-makers don't rely on people like me. They can think for themselves. They can see for themselves. It's not subtle.

On this blog and elsewhere, I've discussed the physics content of his talks and his writings, and I've responded to things that I consider to be misleading or false. I'm not interested in discussing Haramein as a person, just the physics claims that he has made, from my perspective as a physicist. If a scientific claim is made in public that I believe to be misleading or false, my view is that it is right to question and discuss it in public. I have done this openly, inviting discussion from all sides. There were over a thousand comments on those pages, representing a very wide range of views.

Now I've taken them down. At least for now.

Using legal intimidation to shut down legitimate informal debate of your scientific claims is a childish and pathetic way to behave. It's so far removed from the behaviour of any scientist I could respect, it beggars belief.

Postscript:

To his fans: here's a very helpful link to the exciting crystals he now sells that "use the zero-point dynamics of the vacuum to link with and harness the energy and information of this primary quantum field."


To anyone who is more scientifically literate than a box of nuts: yep. That really is what we're dealing with. 

It's not subtle.

4 comments:

William said...

My wife has been fascinated by Nassim (I used to love that sort of stuff, too). It was nice to find a clear and easy to understand analysis of the problems of his work on your blog. I'm also amazed at how quickly the comments got ugly. I'm willing to admit that science is something I don't really understand and I've finally learned how little I do understand it. It's method is challenging and demanding and too many of us want our ideas easy. Thank you for the work you're doing on this blog

Bob said...

Thanks William

Anonymous said...

Hardly surprising. Sadly, their last resort would have to be something within these lines. This are people who just can't handle the truth and whose business model depends on denying the facts and evidence. And you had quite an impressive display of both those things here and a very nice testimony of the way a scientist thinks in the fantastic way you handled the comment section. You did a wonderful job.

Bob said...

Thank you :)

Post a Comment

If it says 'Newest' above right of the comment box, click this to update to the most recent comments.